Somalia Lawmaker Killed in Drive-by Shooting by Islamist RebelsMohamed Sheikh Nor
A Somali lawmaker was killed in a drive-by shooting in the capital, Mogadishu, claimed by al-Shabaab Islamist militants.
Abdullahi Hussein Mohamed was on his way home when attackers sprayed his vehicle with bullets, also killing the driver and another passenger and injuring two bodyguards, said police officer Shire Hussein by phone. It took place on Saturday, the same day legislators in the Horn of African nation were debating a contentious anti-terrorism law.
Al-Shabaab regularly attacks civilians in Somalia in its bid to impose Shariah, or Islamic law. U.S. President Barack Obama on Saturday, during a trip to Kenya, said that he’s willing to cooperate more closely to combat al-Shabaab, which has emerged as a regional threat staging attacks across the border in Kenya and Uganda.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- In One Tweet, Kylie Jenner Wiped Out $1.3 Billion of Snap’s Market Value
- U.S. Companies Abandon the NRA as Boycott Call Grows
- China Regulator Seizes Anbang, Chairman Faces Fraud Prosecution
- Prime-Age Men May Never Return to U.S. Workforce, Fed Paper Says
- The Two Words That Will Help Get an Airline Upgrade Over the Phone