This Man Made $2.3 Billion on Monday
Amancio Ortega added $2.3 billion to his fortune on Monday, as shares in Inditex, the Zara owner and world's largest clothing retailer, rose 3.9 percent. The Spanish billionaire's gain was $500 million more than the combined increase recorded by everyone else among the world's 10 richest people tracked by the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
The rise caps a surging performance for Ortega in the first half of this year. His fortune has risen $11 billion, to $72 billion, an 18 percent rise, compared to the slight decline in the fortunes of Bill Gates, the world's richest man, and Warren Buffett, the third-wealthiest person on earth. While Ortega still trails Gates's $86 billion net worth, Ortega's fortune has increased 80 percent in the past three years—double the growth rate of the Microsoft co-founder.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Morgan Stanley Says Stock Slide Was Appetizer for Real Deal
- U.S. Stocks Fall With Treasuries, Dollar Climbs: Markets Wrap
- U.S. Pays Up to Auction $179 Billion of Debt in a Span of Hours
- Florida Teachers’ Pension Fund Invested in Maker of School Massacre Gun
- ‘No Cash’ Signs Everywhere Has Sweden Worried It’s Gone Too Far