What to Buy Your Wife on Mother's Day From the Kids
Hey dads, husbands—remember your life before small children?
Remember lazy Sundays? Ones that started with leisurely breakfasts and ended when the Law & Order: SVU marathon did. What about spontaneous weeknights that didn’t revolve around the strategically mapped after-school activity calendar? Perhaps both occasions may even have involved the lost art form of adult conversation, among other things? Gasp!
I bet your wife—and co-parent—remembers and mourns these lost moments, too. So why don't you use this Mother's Day (Sunday, May 10) to bring it all back?
Here are 13 gift ideas that, when coupled with a kid-made card or paper flower bouquet, will reward her with life's small pleasures (such as a long, scented soak in the tub for purposes unrelated to actual bathing) and remind her just why she's the luckiest lady in the world.
(Tip: If you want to really remind her, also handle her share of household chores for the weekend, if not longer—because, let's face it, that's basically the married-with-kids equivalent of the most romantic, thoughtful gesture ever.)
- This paisley-print coverup by Etro will be great for those inevitable social occasions with vague dress codes like "summertime chic." ($1,230, net-a-porter.com)
- Green tea or Moscow mule? Give her the gift of disguise with this MG Decor "Mom's" copper mug. ($24, nordstrom.com)
- Bring her a glass of Sancerre and let her soak in the aromatic pleasures of REN Moroccan Rose Otto bath oil. ($48, barneys.com)
- Consider a bucket bag, aka "bottomless mom bag," such as this calfskin option by 3.1 Phillip Lim. ($1,095, bergdorfgoodman.com)
- She'll reach for this pair of simple, yet stunning, chandelier earrings by Pandora the next time you two plan an (adults-only) playdate. ($125, pandora.net)
- Skip the scholarly tomes and get her a book on a subject she really cares about: shoes. The Shoe Book by Nancy MacDonnell is a 380-page visually stunning ode to every woman's favorite accessory. ($50, assouline.com)
- Eliminate one more thing she has to worry about—such as a low-battery warning on her trusty iPhone 6—with the Boostcase hybrid power case. And may she never stress about the dreaded battery drain of letting the little ones play Angry Birds ever again. ($100, barneys.com)
- A comfortable, yet stylish, pajama set, like this one from Stella McCartney, is great for the days you take over car-pool duty and let her sleep in. ($445, net-a-porter.com)
- If there were such thing as a magic wand, it would be the T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Styling Wand, a three-in-one hair styling godsend. ($230, sephora.com)
- Like the mother of your children, this yoga mat by La Vie Boheme is a standout. ($83, shopbop.com)
- Mom won't have to chose function over fashion if you get her this Tory Burch for Fitbit double-wrap gold and leather bracelet. Just pop in a Fitbit Flex, and she'll have the most covetable fitness tracker this side of the Apple Watch—which also wouldn't be a bad idea with these design combinations. ($175, toryburch.com)
- Up her soccer mom game with a pair of oversize shades, such as this round frame pair by Valentino. ($326, barneys.com)
- Summer is action-packed (and wet). Protect her from the sun—and a possible water slide wardrobe malfunction—with this J.Crew striped halter rash guard. ($62, jcrew.com)
While you're at it, buy some bling for your actual mom, too.