Islamic State Behind Killing of Two Saudi Police, Ministry SaysDana Khraiche
A man who confessed to the killing of two Saudi policemen in Riyadh this month said Islamic State ordered the attack, according to the nation’s Interior Ministry.
The attacker was identified as Yazid Bin Mohammad Abdel-Rahman Abu Nayan, the official Saudi news agency reported. Authorities found arms and ammunition buried near where he was detained, as well as seven vehicles, explosives and mobile phones used to coordinate with Islamic State members in Syria.
Security services are searching for a second suspect linked to the attack. He was identified as Nawaf Bin Sharif Samir al-Anzi, and allegedly met with Abu Nayan east of Riyadh, Spa said. A mediator gave them 10,000 riyals, weapons and ammunition.
Saudi Arabia is combating militants in the world’s largest oil supplier to prevent attacks against energy infrastructure and Western nationals. This week, it alerted state-owned oil company Aramco and shopping malls in Riyadh of a possible terrorist attack.
The two police officers were killed in a drive-by shooting on April 8. Late last month, two other policemen were injured in a similar incident in the capital, an attack that came just days after the kingdom beefed up security across the country and at the border as it led 10 nations in an air campaign against Shiite Houthi rebels in neighboring Yemen.
Saudi Arabia is also part of the U.S.-led coalition conducting bombing raids on Islamic State.
Arabiya broadcast footage showing Saudi authorities searching a desert area where Abu Nayan had hid. A reward of 1 million riyals is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the second suspect.
Brigadier General Bassam Atieh said during a televised news conference that Abu Nayan had been recruited on social media.
“The attack that took seconds to carry out was the result of extensive planning, monitoring,” Atieh said.
The attackers had failed twice to target security forces before succeeding, and Islamic State is now directing its recruits to remain in Saudi Arabia to carry out assaults instead of traveling to Syria, he said. “They are moving the battle inside.”