15* Tax Day Freebies and Discounts (Free Shredding Included)
Get free sandwiches, coffee, document destruction, and more on April 15by
Most people celebrate April 15 with a sigh of relief, possibly an 11:59 p.m. run to the post office. But Tax Day has also become a day of free food, shoe sweepstakes, travel deals, and other promotions. Here’s where you can get yours this year:
Food and drink
- Free coffee: Some Whole Foods stores will offer free drip coffees on the morning of April 15. Participating stores include Cedar Center in University Heights, Ohio, and Cherry Hill, N.J. The South Valley (Utah) Whole Foods store is mysterious about its “Tax Day Giveaway,” but it will be at the register while supplies last.
- Free sandwich: Schlotzsky’s customers who buy a 32-ounce fountain drink and a bag of chips on April 15 get a free small Original sandwich, which involves salami and lots of melted cheeses. If you’re in the mood, the chain’s “Tax Day Bites” campaign encourages people to take a photo inside the restaurant with their free sandwich and upload it to social media using the hashtag #TaxDayBites.
- Gift card: Pizza Hut is celebrating Tax Day with its first-ever “Pizza Return.” To become eligible to win a Pizza Hut gift card ranging from $10 to $50, customers fill out a form at pizzareturn.com. On it, they must note whether they are “married ordering separately” and list dependents, which can include “degenerate friends” and “my 4:00 am self.” Entries have to be printed, mailed in, and postmarked no later than April 18. A random drawing will be done around April 21.
- Free meal: Boston Market is offering a buy one, get one free deal on April 15 at its 450 restaurants nationwide. Buy one individual meal (a main, two classic sides, and cornbread) for $10.99 and get the next one free. No coupon needed.
- Free burger: If you’re willing to sing karaoke-style at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square, you can get a free 8-ounce Angus beef burger. The “Sing for Your Supper” promotion starts at 5 p.m. on Tax Day.
- Half-price booze: At ESquared Hospitality restaurants, which include BLT Prime and BLT Steak, all cocktails, beer, wines by the glass and bottles of wine are 50 percent off on April 15 to "help take the stress out of Tax Day."
- Free ice cream: Technically, Ben & Jerry’s “Free Cone Day” is on April 14 and has nothing to do with taxes—it’s the brand’s anniversary. Still, a free cone is a free cone, and it’s well timed.
- Fly-fishing rod: Orvis is giving away a Helios 2 fly rod in a random drawing in its “Tax Day Giveaway,” which ends on April 15. “So for one lucky angler, the pain of rendering unto Caesar will be offset by the joy of taking home the best fly rod in the world,” reads the company’s website. To enter, go to the site, log in with your Facebook account, and tell Orvis where you’d like to use the rod the first time.
- Shoes: The giveaway at mail-order shoe company B.A. Mason is a $500 shopping spree. For men, that could equal about three pairs of New Balance sneakers and two pairs of Hush Puppies.
- Marriott: From April 13 to April 20, anyone booking on marriott.com can get 25 percent off the company’s best weekend rates for stays in Washington, D.C., and Arlington, Va., from May 2 to Sept. 8. Hotel brands include JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, and Renaissance Hotels.
- Kimpton: The tax-break package offered by the chain’s Hotel Monaco Chicago waives occupancy and lodging taxes in April, as well as food tax when you eat at its SWK restaurant. At Kimpton’s 12 hotels in Washington, D.C., Alexandria, Va., and Baltimore, guests who can show they’ve sent in their taxes get “The Procrastinator” cocktail for free. (It features Absolut Citron, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, Amaro Averna, and hibiscus syrup, topped with a dash of sparkling wine.) And during the nightly wine hour at the Hotel Monaco in Portland, Ore., guests will be offered complimentary chair massages to get rid of post-filing stress.
- Royal Caribbean International: Book by April 15 and the cruise line will pay cruise taxes, port charges, and fees for vacationers who reserve cruises of six nights or longer to the Bahamas, the Caribbean, or round-trip to Europe. It adds up to a $200 savings, according to the company.
- Shredding: Office Depot will let customers bring in as much as 2 pounds of documents to shred; the offer, which requires printing a coupon or showing one to a clerk on your smartphone, lasts until April 25. If 2 pounds isn’t enough, Staples has a deal for up to 5 pounds of free shredding that runs until May 2.
- Bonus online dollars: People who have a BorgataCasino.com account can sign in from a Mac or a PC on April 15 and get up to $1,040 in bonus dollars.
- Drawings: At the brick-and-mortar Cannery Casino and Hotel in Las Vegas, the $10,000 finale “Tax Refund to Riches” drawing is on April 16. First place gets $1,099; second gets $1,040. Then the prizes shrink to $100. Gamblers visit the casino cage and cash their check or present an electronic tax-refund receipt to enter the drawing.
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE