Tennis Player Odesnik Gets 15-Year Ban for Second Drug ViolationDanielle Rossingh
U.S. tennis player Wayne Odesnik has been given a 15-year ban for a second drugs violation, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said.
One sample provided by Odesnik in December to USADA and two samples given to the International Tennis Federation in December and January were found to contain anabolic steroids, USADA said in an e-mailed statement today.
In December 2010, the former top-100 player had been given a two-year ban by the International Tennis Federation for importing human growth hormone into Australia. That suspension was later halved.
The 267th-ranked Odesnik has been given a 15-year ban, backdated to Jan. 30, because it was his second offense, USADA said.
Odesnik will be 44 years old before he’s allowed to play again, meaning his career as a professional tennis player is effectively over.
USADA said he will forfeit ranking points and prize money won at two Challengers events and in the qualifying tournament for the Australian Open.