Philippines Says China Rammed Boats in South China Sea

Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

The Philippines said a Chinese vessel rammed three of its fishing boats last week in the South China Sea in the latest sign of tensions over disputed claims to rich fishing grounds in the area.

The Philippines filed a formal protest to the Chinese embassy in Manila on Wednesday over the incident, and lodged a separate complaint over illegal fishing after at least two dozen Chinese boats were seen collecting endangered giant clams in the Scarborough Shoal on Jan. 22, the Department of Foreign Affairs said.