Men Behind Failed London Tube Bombing Lose Human Rights AppealJeremy Hodges
Four men sentenced to as much as 40 years in prison for mounting a botched suicide attack on London’s public transport system in 2005 lost their bid to have their convictions ruled unfair by a European court.
The European Court of Human Rights said today the convictions of Muktar Said Ibrahim, Ramzi Mohammed, Yassin Omar and Ismail Abdurahman in 2007 were justified and complaints about access to legal assistance didn’t prejudice their trials.
The Somali nationals were part of a failed plot to target the London underground system. On July 21, 2005, four bombs were detonated but failed to explode just two weeks after bombers murdered 52 London bus and subway commuters.
Nine years after the attacks global leaders are still struggling to grapple with threats from religious extremists. The U.K. has raised the terror threat to “severe” and London police have arrested more than 215 people on terrorist charges so far this year.
Three of the men in the U.K. case argued in their appeal to the Strasbourg court that they were denied access to lawyers in the immediate aftermath of their arrest, and statements they gave were used against them at trial.