New Watch: Baume & Mercier Clifton 8-Day Power Reserveby
Watches&Wonders (Hong Kong) -- Since its release in November 2012, the Baume & Mercier Clifton collection has kept watch collectors interested by offering affordable takes on classic complications like the triple calendar and the chronograph, all with a vintage aesthetic. While almost the entire collection has been lust-worthy, we'll admit that the 2013 Clifton Tourbillon had us a little lost with its $57,500 price tag. (Really?) The 8-Day Power Reserve though is a strong return to form to celebrate Baume & Mercier's 185th anniversary.
First Thoughts: While the 8-Day Power Reserve isn't the most minimal watch in the Clifton collection, it still carries the clean dial typography and sharp case lines of its more simplified siblings. At 45mm across, it's on the large side, but that's what usually comes with a movement you don't have to wind at all between episodes of "Scandal." Attention to detail is great across the board, with both the crystal and dial featuring the same curve (inspired by vintage pocket watches) to keep distortion to a minimum.
Cocktail Party Fact: The 192-hour power reserve comes from a single barrel. A mechanical watch's power comes from one or more barrels, which is essentially a hollow container holding a spring that is wound to store power and then slowly unwinds to release energy to the timekeeping mechanism. Packing this much into a single barrel is no small feat. A mechanism automatically disables the balance when the barrel's stored power gets too low to keep accurate time.
- Case Diameter: 45mm
- Case Thickness: 13mm
- Case Materials: Red gold case, sapphire caseback
- Dial: Opaline silver-colored dial with red gold Arabic numerals and an open date window at 3 o'clock
- Strap: Black alligator with red gold pin buckle
- Complications: Date at 3 o'clock, running seconds at 6 o'clock, and 8-day power reserve indicator at 8 o'clock
- Reference Number: 10195
- Caliber: BM1659210
- Parts: 215
- Power Reserve: 192 hours (eight days)
- Winding: Manually-wound
- Finishing: Côtes de Genève and other traditional finishes on all plates and bridges, "Phi" logo engraved on the large center bridge, large 8-Day barrel visible at 12 o'clock
- Availability: Limited edition of 185 pieces
- Price: $17,950
Bloomberg's New Watch report is your source for the most up-to-date news in the world of horology, telling you exactly what you need to know about newly released watches from around the globe.