Summertime, When the Hitmaking Is Easy
There’s never been a less subtle contender for Song of the Summer than Calvin Harris’s Summer. The track, No. 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 as of this writing, has only eight distinct lines, which repeat for nearly four minutes. It’s a lot of time to devote to a story as old as Grease. “When I met you in the summer/To my heartbeat sound/We fell in love/As the leaves turned brown,” sings Harris, a 30-year-old DJ from Scotland. The tune is set to the same crashing electronic beats that cemented him as a hitmaker for Rihanna, Ellie Goulding, and others who’ve dominated warm-weather airwaves the past few years.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Billionaire Tom Barrack Throws Harvey Weinstein a Lifeline
- Everything Is Crazy and the Markets Aren’t Freaking Out
- Facebook Is Looking for Employees With National Security Clearances
- Kushners’ Control of Family’s NYC Crown Jewel Is Now in Jeopardy
- London House Prices Fall Most Since Financial Crisis