Seattle University Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, 3 Wounded

A man armed with a shotgun opened fire at a private Christian university in Seattle, killing one person and wounding three, before being pepper-sprayed and subdued by students, police said.

The attack in a science and engineering building at Seattle Pacific University yesterday was the second mass shooting on or near a U.S. college campus in two weeks.

“Once again the epidemic of gun violence has come to Seattle, the epidemic of gun violence that is haunting this nation,” Mayor Ed Murray told reporters.

The gunman, who wasn’t immediately identified, entered Otto Miller Hall and began firing on people in the foyer, police Captain Chris Fowler said in a news briefing. A student security guard disarmed the shooter with pepper spray when he paused to reload, police said.

The victims were taken to Harborview Medical Center where a 20-year-old man died, according to police. A statement by Governor Jay Inslee identified the dead man as a Seattle Pacific student.

One woman was being treated for life-threatening injuries, and another man and woman were in stable condition, police said.

Seattle Pacific, with about 4,270 students, was locked down after the shooting, according to a notice posted on the university’s website. The campus is located in a residential neighborhood about 15 minutes from downtown Seattle.

The university was founded in 1891 by the Free Methodist Church of North America. A prayer service was held last night, and all classes and activities at the school were canceled for today and tonight, according to a university web posting.

California Rampage

On May 23, six people were killed by a man who went on a stabbing and shooting rampage in Isla Vista, California, near the campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara.

In 2012, 20 children and six educators were killed by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and 12 people were shot to death at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater.

The deadliest shooting in the U.S. was in 2007 at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, known as Virginia Tech, where Seung-Hui Cho took 33 lives, including his own.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.