CORRECT: S. Africa Imports 29,201 Tons Yellow Corn From UkraineAna Monteiro
(Corrects story first published on April 15 after Grain Information Service says corn was bought from Ukraine and not Russia.)
Imports were for wk ended April 11, Pretoria-based South African Grain Information Service says in statement published on website.
- Nation imports no white corn in wk
- Country exports 2,402mt yellow corn to neighboring nations; sends 15,251mt white corn; 4,215mt wheat
- South Africa imported 45,470mt wheat last wk, most since wk ended Feb. 14; cereal came from Australia, Germany, Latvia
- NOTE: South Africa is continent’s biggest corn producer; cornmeal made from white variety is used to make staple food known as pap, while yellow type is used as animal feed
- NOTE: Nation is sub-Saharan Africa’s biggest producer of wheat after Ethiopia, region’s biggest importer after Nigeria, Sudan, acc. to U.S. Dept of Agriculture data