Skip to content
Subscriber Only

Tesla Says Model S, Charger Didn’t Cause Garage Fire

Tesla Motors Inc., the electric-car maker being reviewed by U.S. regulators over battery-related fires, said its Model S and charging system didn’t cause a fire in a Southern California garage last month.

While there was a fire at the wall socket where the vehicle was plugged in, the car itself wasn’t burned, Palo Alto, California-based Tesla said in e-mailed comments. Investigators can’t conclude whether the fire started in the wall socket or was caused by the charger, and found it had nothing to do with the battery, Steve Concialdi, a spokesman for the Orange County Fire Authority, said by phone yesterday.