Belgium Beats Croatia 2-1 to Claim Spot at 2014 Soccer World CupBob Bensch
Romelu Lukaku scored two goals as Belgium defeated Croatia 2-1 to clinch a berth in the 2014 soccer World Cup.
The victory guarantees Belgium of finishing as the top team in its qualifying group. The winners of each of the nine European groups advance to next year’s 32-team tournament in Brazil, while the best eight runners-up enter a playoff for the continent’s remaining four spots.
Belgium is the third team to qualify from Europe, after the Netherlands and Italy. Germany and Switzerland will also claim places in Brazil with victories tonight, while Russia can also qualify.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- In One Tweet, Kylie Jenner Wiped Out $1.3 Billion of Snap’s Market Value
- U.S. Companies Abandon the NRA as Boycott Call Grows
- China Regulator Seizes Anbang, Chairman Faces Fraud Prosecution
- The Two Words That Will Help Get an Airline Upgrade Over the Phone
- Prime-Age Men May Never Return to U.S. Workforce, Fed Paper Says