Shanghai Cancels Storm Alert After School, Flight Disruption

Shanghai cancelled a rain storm alert after two typhoons delayed flights and brought downpours that drenched residents returning to work after a week-long holiday.

The city government lifted the warning at about 11 a.m. after earlier raising it to red, the highest of four warning levels. Schools and businesses were ordered closed this morning after a forecast of 100 millimeters (3.9 inches) of rain over a three-hour period in areas including the city center, according to the National Meteorological Center’s website.

The storm delayed 61 flights scheduled to depart from the city’s Pudong International Airport before 10:30 a.m., Shanghai Airport said on its official microblog. Some flights were redirected to Hongqiao airport.

Typhoon Fitow made landfall early morning yesterday south of the city in the provinces of Zhejiang and Fujian. Six people, including one government rescuer, were killed in Zhejiang, Xinhua News Agency reported, citing the local flood control relief headquarters. The eastern province sustained 8.37 billion yuan ($1.37 billion) in damage, as the storm caused about 4,000 houses to collapse, damaged roads and suspended power in many places, Xinhua said. Zhejiang lifted a a red alert issued this morning around noon, the center said.

A second typhoon, Danas, was working its way north off of Shanghai’s coast toward Japan and South Korea, causing flight cancelations and discontinuing ferry service. Storm and high wave warnings were issued in Japan as wind gusts reached 180 kilometers per hour (112 miles per hour).

Heavy rains are expected in Shanghai, Zhejiang and Jiangsu in the next 24 hours, the China Meterological Administration said on its website.

The Shanghai Composite Index, the nation’s benchmark measure, rose 1 percent at 2:30 p.m. China’s markets were shut from Oct. 1 through yesterday for the National Day holiday.

— With assistance by Gregory Turk, and Xiao-Mi Tan

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.