Premier League Clubs Set for Record Deadline Day: Soccer RoundupDan Baynes
The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable Internet links.
English Premier League clubs may set a spending record for the final day of the trade period by outlaying more than 200 million pounds ($311.1 million) on players before today’s 11 p.m. U.K. time deadline, the Daily Telegraph said.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Manchester United’s David Moyes are both pursuing multimillion-pound targets having failed so far to make significant additions to their squads, the newspaper added.
Arsenal is preparing an 80 million-pound spree before the transfer window closes with the club targeting the signings of Real Madrid midfielders Mesut Ozil and Angel di Maria, and Palermo striker Abel Hernandez, the Telegraph said.
Wenger also is interested in Schalke’s Julian Draxler and Chelsea striker Demba Ba, the newspaper said.
Arsenal is ready to sign Ozil permanently or take him on loan, though it may face competition from Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain for the German midfielder, who is said to prefer a move to England, the Daily Mirror reported.
Moyes faces a frantic day after United’s 1-0 defeat at Liverpool yesterday reinforced the need for at least one major signing, the Guardian said.
Athletic Bilbao playmaker Ander Herrera and Everton pair Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines are targets and Moyes may have to return to their respective clubs with acceptable offers, the newspaper said.
Herrera hasn’t asked to leave Bilbao and won’t try to force through a move to United, the Daily Mail said, citing the Spanish club’s manager, Ernesto Valverde.
The Premier League champion, which bid 25.5 million pounds for Herrera last week, will have to meet the 36 million-euro ($47.5 million) release clause in the player’s contract, the Mail added.
Everton will make a third bid for Wigan midfielder James McCarthy as manager Roberto Martinez prepares for the probable sale of Fellaini to United, the Daily Telegraph said.
Everton’s first offer is said to have been made Aug. 30 and was turned down, with an improved bid of about 12 million pounds then rejected last night, the Telegraph added.