Turkish Army Places Tanks on Syria Border to Deter SmugglersSelcan Hacaoglu
About 1,000 smugglers, including some riding vehicles and horses, ignored warnings to stay away from Turkish border at 4:15 a.m. today, the army says in statement on website. * A tank and 3 armored vehicles were used to block border as troops fired warning shots * Smugglers were riding 40 vehicles and about 150 horses * Some other smugglers opened 15-20 shots on soldiers from village on Turkish side of border * NOTE: Smugglers shot and slightly wounded 18 Turkish soldiers in similar incident on Aug. 6 after confronting smugglers on July 30 as well * NOTE: Crackdown on smuggling along Syrian border follows use of smuggled explosives in May 11 car bomb attack that killed 52 people in border town of Reyhanli
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Marc Faber Asked to Leave Sprott Board After Racist Report
- Airbus Snaps Up Bombardier Jet in New Challenge to Boeing