Ex-Australia Cricket Coach Arthur Reaches Settlement Over FiringBob Bensch
Former Australia national team coach Mickey Arthur has reached a “confidential” settlement with Cricket Australia over his firing last month.
“Both Mickey and CA agree that it is unfortunate that the dispute was not settled prior to the issuing of legal proceedings,” the two sides said in a joint statement. “Both parties agree that a resolution now is in the interests of the Australian cricket team and cricket generally in Australia.”
The 45-year-old Arthur, who had two years to run on his contract, was fired June 24 and replaced with Darren Lehmann 16 days before the start of the Ashes series in England.
He filed proceedings with the Fair Work Commission in Sydney three weeks ago for being “sacked and scapegoated,” and was seeking as much as A$4 million ($3.6 million) in compensation, claiming discrimination because he was South African and “didn’t understand the Australian way,” Channel Seven reported July 16, citing the confidential filings.
“For me this was never solely about the money,” Arthur said today in televised comments to reporters. ‘I just wanted to be treated fairly and with dignity. With this fair reasonable deal, we can now get on with our lives.”
Arthur was replaced because of Australia’s “struggles both on and off the field” during this year’s tour of India and the Champions Trophy tournament, Cricket Australia said at the time of his dismissal. He was ultimately responsible for the team’s failure to improve its discipline, consistency of behavior and accountability for performance, it added.
Arthur was hired as Australia’s first overseas-born coach in November 2011 and led the team to 10 wins, six losses and three draws in 19 Tests. His tenure was marked by discipline breaches in the squad, the latest being batsman David Warner’s suspension last month for punching England’s Joe Root in a bar.
England has won the first two games in the best-of-five Ashes series, with the third Test starting tomorrow at Old Trafford in Manchester. Australia in 1936-37 is the only team in the 131-year history of the Ashes to have come back from a 2-0 deficit to win a series.