J.R. Smith, Pablo Prigioni Agree to Stay With New York Knicks

J.R. Smith, the National Basketball Association’s Sixth Man of the Year, and Pablo Prigioni have agreed to stay with the New York Knicks, according to their agents.

Leon Rose, who represents the 27-year-old guard Smith, declined in an e-mail to comment on the terms of the agreement. The New York Times reported the extension is for four years and $24 million.

Prigioni also agreed to re-sign with the team, his agent George Bass said yesterday in an e-mail, without providing contract terms. The three-year deal is worth $6 million, according to the New York Daily News.

NBA players can agree on contracts, though they can’t sign them until July 10 when the league’s moratorium on trades and signings is lifted.

Smith averaged a career-best 18.1 points per game on 42 percent shooting last season, his second in New York, as the Knicks finished with 54 wins, their highest total in 16 years. The nine-year veteran’s production slowed in the postseason, where he averaged 14.3 points per game on 33 percent shooting, including a stretch in which he was 9-for-39 from 3-point range.

Prigioni, 36, became the NBA’s oldest rookie in 64 years last season when he joined the Knicks after a 16-year career playing in Argentina and Spain. He averaged 3.5 points and 3.0 assists per game last year.

When the signings are finalized, the Knicks will have Smith, Prigioni, 2012-13 scoring champion Carmelo Anthony, Iman Shumpert, Raymond Felton and Tyson Chandler under contract, the Daily News said.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE