Millwall to Ban Fans Involved in Violence; Newcastle Clashes

Millwall said it will ban fans found guilty of violence at yesterday’s F.A. Cup semifinal against Wigan. There was also trouble after a Premier League game at Newcastle today.

The semifinal at London’s Wembley Stadium was marred as some fans in the Millwall section fought among themselves during the second half of the game, which Wigan won 2-0.

Television images showed police breaking up the trouble, which left some supporters bloodied and younger ones crying. Police said 14 men were arrested at the game, 12 of them Millwall fans. The two Wigan supporters arrested were not involved in disorder with Millwall followers, police said.

Some fans of second-tier Millwall have been involved in incidents of disorder in the past and the club has worked to improve its image.

“Anyone associated with our club found guilty of violent behavior will be banned indefinitely from Millwall matches in addition to any punishment they receive from the authorities,”. Millwall Chief Executive Officer Andy Ambler said on the southeast London club’s website. “Having worked so hard to show the positive side of our club both on and off the field, we cannot allow the actions of a mindless minority to undermine that.”

London’s Metropolitan Police said it “will be working with the Football Association, Wembley Stadium and other partners to ensure its investigation identifies all those involved.”

The F.A. said it “deplores the scenes which have taken place, which are unacceptable. Everything will be done to take action against those involved.”

In the final, Wigan will play fellow Premier League team Manchester City, which beat defending Cup champion Chelsea 2-1 in today’s semifinal at Wembley.

Today, police arrested 27 soccer fans after violence broke out following the derby match between northeast England teams Newcastle and Sunderland, Sky Sports reported.

Missiles were thrown at police as rival supporters were involved in angry scenes at Central Station in Newcastle upon Tyne. Three police officers were hurt and one was taken to the hospital. Sunderland had won the game 3-0.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.