French Laundry Tops Ranking of Best Restaurants in U.S.Richard Vines
The French Laundry in Yountville, California, is the finest restaurant in the U.S., followed by Gramercy Tavern and Le Bernardin in New York, according to a survey by The Daily Meal.
The website editors, headed by the food writer Colman Andrews, got together with 174 judges and came up with a shortlist. They then voted, based on cuisine, region and factors such as the level of formality and buzz and the prices.
“To be exceedingly fair, the ranking gives equal weight to highbrow eateries like The French Laundry and less expensive institutions like Shake Shack in New York,” the editors said in an e-mailed release. “If it’s good food, it’s fair game.”
Like all lists, this one is subjective. The fact that 10 of the first 13 establishments are in New York may raise a few eyebrows. I wasn’t a voter and have no connection with the website. (I interviewed Andrews once in 2010, along with El Bulli’s chef, Ferran Adria, whose biography he wrote.)
Here are the 101 Best Restaurants in America, according to The Daily Meal:
1. The French Laundry, Yountville, California 2. Gramercy Tavern, New York 3. Le Bernardin, New York 4. Momofuku Ssam Bar, New York 5. Eleven Madison Park, New York 6. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, New York 7. ABC Kitchen, New York 8. Babbo, New York, New York 9. Girl & the Goat, Chicago, Illinois 10. Cochon, New Orleans, Louisiana 11. Shake Shack, New York 12. Jean Georges, New York 13. Daniel, New York 14. Alinea, Chicago, Illinois 15. Chez Panisse, Berkeley, California 16. Del Posto, New York 17. Per Se, New York 18. Commander’s Palace, New Orleans, Louisiana 19. Zuni Cafe, San Francisco, California 20. Animal, Los Angeles, California 21. Gotham Bar & Grill, New York, New York 22. Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles, California 23. Bouchon Bistro, Yountville, California 24. Husk, Charleston, South Carolina 25. Joel Robuchon, Las Vegas, Nevada 26. Franklin BBQ, Austin, Texas 27. Mission Chinese, San Francisco, California 28. August, New Orleans, Louisiana 29. Masa, New York 30. Bar Tartine, San Francisco, California 31. Marea, New York 32. WD-50, New York 33. Vetri, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 34. Beast, Portland, Oregon. 35. The Publican, Chicago, Illinois 36. Ippudo, New York 37. Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Virginia 38. Blackbird, Chicago, Illinois 39. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, New Haven, Connecticut 40. Galatoire’s, New Orleans, Louisiana 41. Il Buco Alimentari e Vineria, New York 42. La Taqueria, San Francisco, California 43. Bazaar, Los Angeles, California 44. Torrisi Italian Specialties, New York 45. Guy Savoy, Las Vegas, Nevada 46. Spiaggia, Chicago, Illinois 47. Xi’An Famous Foods, Queens, New York 48. Di Fara, Brooklyn, New York 49. Spago, Los Angeles, California 50. Next, Chicago, Illinois 51. Cut, Los Angeles, California 52. Coi, San Francisco, California 53. Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare, Brooklyn, New York 54. Quince, San Francisco, California 55. FIG, Charleston, South Carolina 56. Michael Mina, San Francisco, California 57. E by Jose Andres, Las Vegas, Nevada 58. Frasca Food & Wine, Boulder, Colorado 59. NoMad, New York 60. Bern’s Steak House, Tampa, Florida 61. Alan Wong’s, Honolulu, Hawaii 62. O Ya, Boston, Massachusetts 63. Clio, Boston, Massachusetts 64. State Bird Provisions, San Francisco, California 65. Komi, Washington, D.C. 66. Craigie on Main, Cambridge, Massachusetts 67. TRU, Chicago, Illinois 68. Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, Miami, Florida 69. McCrady’s, Charleston, South Carolina 70. Joe’s Stone Crab, Miami, Florida 71. Kreuz Market, Lockhart, Texas 72. Lucques, Los Angeles, California 73. Le Pigeon, Portland, Oregon 74. SriPraPhai, Queens, New York 75. Hominy Grill, Charleston, South Carolina 76. Zahav, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 77. Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix, Arizona 78. Al Di La, Brooklyn, New York 79. City Grocery, Oxford, Mississippi 80. The Restaurant at Meadowood, St. Helena, California 81. Fore Street, Portland, Maine 82. Michael’s Genuine, Miami, Florida 83. Jaleo, Las Vegas, Nevada 84. Al Forno, Providence, Rhode Island 85. Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare, Las Vegas, Nevada 86. Dahlia Lounge, Seattle, Wash. 87. The Barn at Blackberry Farm, Walland, Tennessee 88. Canlis, Seattle, Washington 89. Congress, Austin, Texas 90. Underbelly, Houston, Texas 91. Catbird Seat, Nashville, Tenn. 92. Woodshed Smokehouse, Fort Worth, Texas 93. Sushi Yasuda, New York 94. Fearing’s, Dallas, Texas 95. Minibar, Washington, D.C. 96. The Four Seasons, New York 97. Benu, San Francisco, California 98. Stella!, New Orleans, Louisiana 99. Providence, Los Angeles, California 100. Rasika, Washington, D.C. 101. Lola, Cleveland, Ohio
(Richard Vines is the chief food critic for Muse, the arts and leisure section of Bloomberg News. He is U.K. and Ireland chairman of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards. Opinions expressed are his own.)
Muse highlights include: Scott Reyburn on the art market, Ryan Sutton on food and Jeremy Gerard on New York theater.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Comedian Byron Allen Buys the Weather Channel for $300 Million
- Stocks Tumble in Biggest Weekly Decline Since 2016: Markets Wrap
- Musk Takes Down the Tesla and SpaceX Facebook Pages
- World's Biggest Cryptocurrency Exchange Is Heading to Malta
- Stocks Drop Most in Six Weeks on Trade War Tension: Markets Wrap