Hong Kong Charges Four in Connection With Henry Tang’s BasementSimon Lee
Hong Kong charged four people in connection with the construction of an unauthorized basement at the home of Henry Tang, the city’s former second-highest ranked official.
The four people were charged under a law that prohibits unauthorized construction and another that concerns the misrepresentation of facts in documents submitted to the government, according to an e-mailed statement from Hong Kong’s Buildings Department.
Tang, a contender for the post of Hong Kong chief executive last year, lost to Leung Chun-ying after his candidacy was undermined when he said there was an illegal basement at his home in the upmarket Kowloon Tong district.
The four people charged include the property owner’s agent, the “authorized person,” the registered structural engineer, and the registered contractor, according to the statement. Summonses were issued by the magistrate’s court on Feb. 9., the Buildings Department said, without saying on whom they were served.
Tang has received a letter from the Buildings Department and has handed the matter to his lawyers, Thomas Chan, spokesman for Tang and his wife, said by phone today. The couple won’t comment further on the matter as it has entered into legal proceedings, Chan said.
The case is scheduled to be heard on March 13, according to the Buildings Department.