Blackburn Upsets Arsenal 1-0 in F.A. Cup as Luton’s Run Ends

Blackburn upset Arsenal 1-0 to advance to the quarterfinals of soccer’s F.A. Cup, as non-League Luton Town’s run in the competition came to an end.

Colin Kazim-Richards scored the only goal in the 72nd minute to send Blackburn, which was relegated to the second-tier Championship from the Premier League last season, into the final eight. Luton, the only team from outside England’s top four divisions in the fifth round, was beaten 3-0 by Millwall.

Oldham earned a replay after a goal in stoppage time gave it a 2-2 draw with Everton and Barnsley defeated Milton Keynes Dons 3-1 in today’s other matches.

Arsenal had a 26-6 advantage in shot attempts and dominated possession at the Emirates Stadium in north London but was unable to beat Blackburn goalkeeper Jake Kean. The Gunners, who’ve not won a trophy since the 2005 F.A. Cup, were also knocked out of the League Cup by a lower-division side when they lost to Bradford.

Arsenal pressured the Blackburn end in the first half with Kean making saves against Abou Diaby, Olivier Giroud and Mikel Arteta, while Gervinho shot wide after getting behind the defense.

The Gunners continued to press in the second half and just missed taking the lead in the 68th minute when Tomas Rosicky hit the crossbar.

Manager Arsene Wenger then brought on a trio of regular starters who were rested with a Champions League game against Bayern Munich coming up in four days -- midfielders Santi Cazorla and Jack Wilshere and forward Theo Walcott -- but it was Blackburn that scored a minute later.


Martin Olsson’s shot was parried away by Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny toward Kazim-Richards, whose mis-hit attempt on the rebound went in off the post. Rovers then spent most of the remaining time defending as Kean stopped a header from Walcott while Francis Coquelin and Arteta shot wide before the final whistle.

James Henry, Rob Hulse and Dany N’Guessan scored to send Millwall of the Championship to its first quarterfinal appearance since 2004.

Luton was seeking to become the first club from below England’s top four divisions to reach the F.A. Cup quarterfinals since 1914. The Hatters, who play in the fifth-tier Football Conference Premier League, upset Norwich of the Premier League 1-0 in the fourth round.

Millwall took the lead in the 12th minute as Luton’s Janos Kovacs lost control of the ball to Henry, who went around the goalkeeper and slid a shot into the open net. Hulse doubled the lead in the 36th minute and N’Guessan clinched the victory with four minutes remaining.

Stoppage Time

Matt Smith scored in the final seconds of stoppage time as Oldham pulled off its second straight F.A. Cup surprise against a Premier League club from Liverpool by drawing with Everton.

Jordan Obita gave Oldham, which is just above the relegation zone in third-level League One, the lead in the 13th minute and Victor Anichebe scored for Everton 11 minutes.

Phil Jagielka then scored off a Kevin Mirallas corner kick to put Everton in front three minutes into the second half.

After Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard stopped Robbie Simpson’s close-range shot in the 89th minute, Smith, who scored twice in Oldham’s 3-2 win over Liverpool in the fourth round, headed in a cross just before the final whistle.

Barnsley made it three Championship sides in the quarterfinals with its win at League One’s MK Dons. Chris Dagnall put the Tykes in front after three minutes and Marlon Harewood made it 2-0 in the 19th minute.

Dean Bowditch pulled MK Dons within a goal in the second half, but Dagnall clinched the victory in the final minute. Alan Smith was then sent off for the Dons in injury time for a challenge on Rory Delap.

The F.A. Cup continues tomorrow with a pair of fifth-round matchups as Manchester City meets Leeds and Wigan is at Huddersfield. Defending champion Chelsea also hosts Brentford in a fourth-round replay after the clubs drew 2-2 last month.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.