America's Curiously Famous Drug-Smuggling Border TrapBy
Never bring drugs into Sierra Blanca, Tex. The tiny town near the Mexican border serves as a major immigration and smuggling checkpoint for vehicles traveling between California and Florida. Agents at that checkpoint have a knack for arresting people on even the smallest of drug charges, especially when they’re celebrities. Snoop Dogg (sorry, “Snoop Lion”), Willie Nelson, actor Armie Hammer (who played the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network), and hacker George Hotz have all been arrested on drug charges there. On Sept. 19, Sierra Blanca agents snagged another one: Fiona Apple, who had .01 pounds of marijuana and .01 lbs. of hash in her tour bus. Bloomberg Businessweek spoke with Rusty Fleming, public information officer at Hudspeth County Sheriff’s Office, about why the obscure Texas town has become the most famous border checkpoint in the U.S.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Auto Suppliers Jump on Report Tesla to Fully Own China Plant
- This Little Known Malaysian Stock Has Surged 400%
- NFL’s $205 Million Man Is Hated by Everyone But Those Who Matter
- Euro Drops With Spain on Edge; Bonds and Oil Climb: Markets Wrap
- This $14 Million Atlanta Home With Bunker Is ‘Safest in America’