Can I Sell You an Underground Bunker?By
When CBS broadcast fictional reports that an invading army of Martians was slaughtering thousands in the streets of New York, listeners across the country panicked. “New York destroyed; it’s the end of the world,” the New York Times quoted (paywall) an Indianapolis woman screaming as she ran into a church. “You might as well go home to die. I just heard it on the radio.” Orson Welles incited this chaos 74 years ago, when he performed an adaptation of H.G. Wells’s novel The War of the Worlds over the air.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- This $14 Million Atlanta Home With Bunker Is ‘Safest in America’
- These Cities Make NYC Housing Look Dirt Cheap
- GE's New CEO Vows Sweeping Change After ‘Unacceptable’ Report
- Separatists Pledge to Fight On After Spain Moves to Oust Catalan Leaders
- Greenwich Mansion Listings Pulled to Wait for a Better Day