TED Goes to the Movies With 'Prometheus' PromotionJulian Sancton
At the TED Full Spectrum conference in Long Beach, Calif., earlier this month, inspiring, provocative speakers spoke of the future. Peter Diamandis predicted a new era of innovation and abundance. Penn scientist Vijay Kumar enumerated the practical uses of small, agile, flying robots that eerily portended the machines in The Matrix. The theme of robots was reprised in a video of a TEDTalk claiming to be from the future—2023, to be precise—delivered by Peter Weyland, a swaggering industrialist who described the imminent possibility of creating lifelike androids. “At this moment in our civilization,” he said, “we can create cybernetic individuals who, in just a few short years, will be completely indistinguishable from us.”
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- This $14 Million Atlanta Home With Bunker Is ‘Safest in America’
- Separatists Pledge to Fight On After Spain Moves to Oust Catalan Leaders
- These Cities Make NYC Housing Look Dirt Cheap
- GE's New CEO Vows Sweeping Change After ‘Unacceptable’ Report
- Greenwich Mansion Listings Pulled to Wait for a Better Day