Why China Fears Ai WeiweiWenran Jiang
Just when the controversy surrounding imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize was fading away, China's recent detention of artist Ai Weiwei, a co-designer of the "Bird's Nest" Beijing Olympic Stadium and a fierce critic of the government, has put the regime in the international spotlight again. Many foreign governments charge that the detention is nothing but politically motivated, while Beijing maintains that Ai is under investigation for potential "economic crimes" that have nothing to do with politics.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Bitcoin Plunge Extends to 25% as Fear of Crypto Crackdown Linger
- America’s Fastest Spy Plane May Be Back—and Hypersonic
- GE CEO Renews Pledge to Study Breakup After $6.2 Billion Stumble
- The World's Top-Selling Video Game Has a Cheating Problem
- One of the Biggest Diamonds in History Has Just Been Dug Up