Pope Nixed Jewish Homeland, Sneezing Into Hankie: Lewis Lapham
On Jan. 24, 1904, after gathering support for Zionist ideas among Europe’s power brokers, Theodor Herzl went for a private audience with Pope Pius X. In his diary, Herzl blamed the notable lack of success on his refusal to kiss the Pope’s ring.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- This $14 Million Atlanta Home With Bunker Is ‘Safest in America’
- GE's New CEO Vows Sweeping Change After ‘Unacceptable’ Report
- These Cities Make NYC Housing Look Dirt Cheap
- The U.K.'s $86 Billion Pension Problem Is About to Solve Itself
- Separatists Pledge to Fight On After Spain Moves to Oust Catalan Leaders