A Q&A with BMC's Bob Beauchamp

Your revenues have grown throughout the downturn compared with your competitors. Why?
We only do this. Software is less than 3 percent of revenues for Hewlett-Packard. It's 100 percent of ours. We wake up every day, the entire company, focused on software management. Our larger competitors have to focus on the other 97 percent of their business.

You compare cloud computing to renting a car instead of buying, because you don't always need the same kind of car, right?
When you go to rent a car, you just say, "I need a minivan." And a minivan will be waiting for you. That's kind of cloud computing. You set up predetermined profiles. Some of them are for low cost, not-so-high-performance. Some are expensive, super-high-performance.

Isn't security a concern?
I don't think companies are worried about sensitive information as long as it's in their private cloud. Many of them have no intention of using the public cloud. If buying a car is your traditional data center, and renting a car is your cloud, then the public cloud is a bus. It's super economical for a specific set of circumstances. But you're not exactly sure who else is going to be there.

BMC often comes up as a possible acquisition target.
We think that we have a very bright future as an independent software company.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.