Stimulus: How Porky Is It?Moira Herbst
John Maynard Keynes famously suggested that paying people to simply dig ditches and fill them in again would boost the economy because at least wages would be pumped back into the system. There was plenty of ditch digging, road building, and other construction projects in the Obama Administration's stimulus plan that passed the House on a party-line vote Jan. 28. But as debate continues on the $900 billion stimulus package in the Senate, critics are pointing to a raft of projects they say would be wasteful spending and won't help the economy recover.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Billionaire Tom Barrack Throws Harvey Weinstein a Lifeline
- Everything Is Crazy and the Markets Aren’t Freaking Out
- Facebook Is Looking for Employees With National Security Clearances
- Kushners’ Control of Family’s NYC Crown Jewel Is Now in Jeopardy