Obama, Biden to Hold Economic Council Fridayby
The president-elect seems to be wasting little time tackling thorny economic issues: He’s called a meeting of more than a dozen key business and economic advisers for Friday in Chicago.
A press conference is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Central time at the Hilton Chicago, but we’re told there aren’t likely to be any major appointments announced.
In addition to Obama and runing-mate Joe Biden, the gathering is to include JPMorgan Chase official and former Transportation Secretary William Daly, Xerox CEO Anne Mulcahy, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, former SEC commissioners William Donaldson and Roel Campos, real-estate exec and Obama-Biden fund-raising chair Penny Pritzker, former Clinton Administration Labor Secretary Robert Reich, former Treasury secretaries Robert Rubin and Larry Summers, Google Chairman and CEO Eric Schmidt, former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker, and former Clinton Administration economic adviser Laura Tyson. Warren Buffett is expected to dial in.
A number of these, of course, are assumed to be on the administration-in-waiting’s short-list for economic posts. (See a slide-show of likey economic advisers on BusinessWeek.com)
A full list of participants after the jump.
- David Bonior (Member House of Representatives 1977-2003)
- Warren Buffett (Chairman and CEO, Berkshire Hathaway)-will participate via speakerphone
- Roel Campos (former SEC Commissioner)
- William Daley (Chairman of the Midwest, JP Morgan Chase; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Commerce, 1997-2000)
- William Donaldson (Former Chairman of the SEC 2003-2005)
- Roger Ferguson (President and CEO, TIAA-CREF and former Vice Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve)
- Jennifer Granholm (Governor, State of Michigan)
- Anne Mulcahy (Chairman and CEO, Xerox)
- Richard Parsons (Chairman of the Board, Time Warner)
- Penny Pritzker (CEO, Classic Residence by Hyatt)
- Robert Reich (University of California, Berkeley; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Labor, 1993-1997)
- Robert Rubin (Chairman and Director of the Executive Committee, Citigroup; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Treasury, 1995-1999)
- Eric Schmidt (Chairman and CEO, Google)
- Lawrence Summers (Harvard University; Managing Director, D.E. Shaw; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Treasury, 1999-2001)
- Laura Tyson (Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley; Former Chairman, National Economic Council, 1995-1996; Former Chairman, President’s Council of Economic Advisors, 1993-1995)
- Antonio Villaraigosa (Mayor, City of Los Angeles)
- Paul Volcker (Former Chairman, U.S. Federal Reserve 1979-1987)