Hypermarkets: Wal-Mart Leads the Way
Quick: Guess which two subindustry indexes in the Standard & Poor's Composite 1500 index have actually risen during this bear market? Correct, Brewers and HyperMarkets! The S&P 1500 HyperMarkets& Super Centers subindustry index, in which Wal-Mart (WMT) is found, has been on the High Momentum List for quite a few months. Its trailing 12-month price performances have been in the top 10% of all subindustries in the S&P Composite 1500 Index (consisting of the S&P 500, MidCap 400. and SmallCap 600 Indices). From Oct. 9, 2007 through Oct. 16, 2008, this sub-industry index was up 6.8%, vs. a 42.1% decline for the S&P 1500.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Fewest Jobless Claims Since 1973 Show Firm U.S. Job Market
- Greenwich Mansion Listings Pulled to Wait for a Better Day
- Germans Are Going Wild for a Show Set During the Dawn of the Nazis
- U.S. Stocks Climb With Treasuries as Dollar Slides: Markets Wrap
- The U.K.'s $86 Billion Pension Problem Is About to Solve Itself