Do Manners Matter?Patricia O'Connell
I’m not a golf fan, but of course even I’ve heard of Gary Player, the South African champion, golf course designer, real estate entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Many athletes have foundations, but I was struck by the focus of Player’s foundation. He explained it to me as helping to educate kids not just about academics but “about manners, taking care of themselves, how to prepare for jobs, how to dress properly, how to get on in the world.” I think everyone’s manners have slipped (I blame it on e-mail, texting, etc.) and I’m sure I’m guilty of it, too, but I think it’s great the someone recognizes that there are skills needed for life success that go beyond education.
Am I just old-fashioned, or do manners matter?
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Morgan Stanley Says Stock Slide Was Appetizer for Real Deal
- U.S. Stocks Fall With Treasuries, Dollar Climbs: Markets Wrap
- U.S. Pays Up to Auction $179 Billion of Debt in a Span of Hours
- Tech Lifts U.S. Stocks as Treasuries Fluctuate: Markets Wrap
- Florida Teachers’ Pension Fund Invested in Maker of School Massacre Gun