What Went Wrong at Citi and Merrill
Senior managements and the boards of directors of major financial institutions such as Citicorp (C) and Merrill Lynch (MER) failed to perform their proper corporate governance roles, helping to precipitate the financial markets crisis of recent weeks, says Henry Kaufman, president of Henry Kaufman & Co. and a board member at Lehman Brothers (LEH). The Federal Reserve also failed to understand risks created by the proliferation of new financial instruments, says Kaufman, who previously served on the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Here are edited excerpts from a recent conversation.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- A L'Oreal Heiress Is Now the World's Richest Woman
- Ivanka Trump Faces Courtroom Showdown Over $785 Sandals
- How Electric Cars Can Create the Biggest Disruption Since the iPhone
- Uber Losing Battle in London After Regulator Revokes License
- A Storm's Never Destroyed a Grid Like Maria Ruined Puerto Rico's