The Federal Reserve Cuts Rates By A Surprising Half Point. Be Afraid.By
The markets rallied on news that the Fed cut its key benchmark rate by a surprising 1/2 point, not the expected 1/4, reflecting the convention wisdom that this will solve the current financial and housing crises. I wish this were true but an innovation in finance—structured finance—makes the fed move unlikely to curb the decline anytime soon. Fed Chairman Bernanke was bold in cutting rates so much but his move underlines the seriousness of the situation.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Goldman Sachs Sees Four 2018 Fed Rate Hikes as U.S. Growth Gains
- Tesla Unveils ‘World’s Fastest Production Car’ and Electric Big Rig
- Norway Idea to Exit Oil Stocks Is ‘Shot Heard Around the World’
- Honda Recalls 800,000 Odyssey Minivans Linked to Injuries
- Why Are Critics Calling the $450 Million Painting Fake?