The China Code

Manufacturing in China seemed like a good idea. Then came poisonous pet food, faulty tires, and toxic toys. What to do now

In 2006, a 4-year-old child died after eating a piece of costume jewelry routinely given away with purchases by sneaker manufacturer Reebok. The cause of death: lead poisoning. "I was shocked a child had died," says the owner of a nine-person jewelry manufacturing company in New York. Although her company's products were not involved, the entrepreneur wanted to be sure the necklaces and bracelets she was making in China were safe. She had them tested and discovered the lead content was off the charts. Stunned, she phoned her Chinese manufacturer and demanded the lead be removed.

To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.