Another Stumble for Subprime Lenders
The subprime mess has taken another ugly turn: New Century Financial (NEW) faces the threat of bankruptcy, as the mortgage outfit grapples with financing challenges as well as an investigation into its accounting and trading practices. The company now has a poorer credit rating and will have a tougher time obtaining needed funding for its business. The company's disclosure of its current predicament after the market close on Friday, Mar. 2, roiled shares in mortgage lenders on Monday, Mar. 5, as investors worried about how companies that sell loans to people with poor credit will survive the weaker housing market (see BusinessWeek.com, 2/19/07, "Out of the Basement for Housing").
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Uber Paid Hackers to Delete Stolen Data on 57 Million People
- Tesla’s Burning Through Nearly Half a Million Dollars Every Hour
- New Uber CEO Keeps Finding Horrors at Every Turn
- Facebook to Show Users Which Russian Propaganda They Followed
- Jamie Dimon Says He'd Bet Donald Trump Doesn't Win Again in 2020