Giving New Meaning to the Concept "Urban Jungle"
Manaus is Brazil’s great Amazonian metropolis, a 1.5 million-person industrial city isolated in the middle of the rainforest, readily accessible only by airplane or riverboat. Rapid development over recent decades has nearly erased the presence of the rainforest itself: Once within the city, one is hard-pressed to locate a single tree. Now, with a $200 million infrastructural makeover, local authorities are attempting to recover some of Manaus's natural past.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Bitcoin Futures Deliver Wild Ride as Debut Brings Rally, Halts
- Investors Told to Brace for Steepest Rate Hikes Since 2006
- Longtime NPR Host Tom Ashbrook Is Facing Misconduct Allegations
- Times Square Subway Bomber Tells Police He’s a Follower of Islamic State
- Buffett's About to Get $3 Billion Back From Burger King Owner