Negroponte's $100 Laptop Just Became the $140 Laptop.By
The long-awaited $100 laptop for the bottom of the pyramid is heading toward production, according to it's champion, MIT's Media Lab cofounder Nicholas Negroponte, but it will be a bit more expensive--$140 to start. With more volume, it could drop to $100 by 2008. Negroponte was talking before a Red Hat conference and predicted that one of the biggest impacts of the laptop would be to spread linux throughout the world. Red Hat is supplying the linux operating system and AMD the chip.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- One of the World’s Hottest Stocks Is Now Tumbling
- This Rare Bear Who Called the Crash Warns Housing Is Too Hot Again
- Recent ‘Odd’ Market Moves May Be a Warning Sign for Stocks
- The Global Economy Is Doing Just Fine, But the Davos Elite Is Worried
- U.S. Stocks, Treasuries Rise as Greenback Weakens: Markets Wrap