For Sale By OwnerBy
Realtors will argue that only a professional can get you a good price and guide you through the intricacies of closing. But selling your house without an agent is getting more and more convenient, thanks to increasingly sophisticated Web tools.
One new advertising-supported site called emongoo.com looks vaguely like google.com and offers free listings by owners. You can post as many as 20 photos of your house for free. You also get a free yard sign. Hand-holding costs extra: For $626 you get unlimited telephone consultations on pricing, selling, interior decorating, doing open houses, etc. That's not cheap unless you compare it to the thousands of dollars you'd be paying a brokerage firm.
emongoo.com is still light on listings, so it's not yet much of a magnet for potential buyers. Then there's the name--I keep picturing a mongoose. But my guess is that with real estate markets softening, emongoo.com and other FSBO sites are poised to pick up business from sellers who simply can't stand to pay what full-service agents are asking.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Ivanka Trump Faces Courtroom Showdown Over $785 Sandals
- Uber Losing Battle in London After Regulator Revokes License
- Mercedes Plots Tesla Attack With $1 Billion U.S. Electric Push
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Is Said to Plan About 5,000 Job Cuts
- How Electric Cars Can Create the Biggest Disruption Since the iPhone