Meet the Enemy

With the number of people falling prey to the alternative minimum tax climbing fast, it may be time to familiarize yourself with Form 6251

If filling out the standard 1040 income-tax form seems tortuous, wait until you encounter Form 6251, which computes the alternative minimum tax. You do it after you've done the 1040, and it makes you recalculate your tax bill using a different and generally more complex set of rules. You then pay whichever amount is higher.

To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.