A Clean Break with Workplace Tradition
Sandy Maine's SunFeather Natural Soap Company makes soaps, lotions, and insect repellent that it sells both retail and wholesale. Based in Pottsdam, N.Y., in the Adirondack Mountains, the $1 million company is also a private-label supplier to Oprah Winfrey. With only 14 employees, SunFeather is not required to comply with the Family Medical Leave Act, but Maine offers her mostly female staff an innovative leave policy. SmallBiz contributor Jill Hamburg Coplan recently spoke with Maine about her business and the social goals it embodies. Edited excerpts of their conversation follow:
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- One of the World’s Hottest Stocks Is Now Tumbling
- This Rare Bear Who Called the Crash Warns Housing Is Too Hot Again
- Recent ‘Odd’ Market Moves May Be a Warning Sign for Stocks
- The Global Economy Is Doing Just Fine, But the Davos Elite Is Worried
- U.S. Stocks Gain as Senate Votes to End Shutdown: Markets Wrap