The Mideast: Who's Responsible For What
We disagree that the decline in the Palestinian economy was caused by the Israeli system of closure--and not by the intifada ("Sharon's Israel," European Edition Cover Story, Feb. 12). In 1999, with the same Israeli controls in place as were there in early 2000, the economy grew 6% to 7%. What foolhardy nation would not put restrictions in place when riots and terrorist acts become a daily occurrence? The result is that the Palestinians have bitten the hand that feeds them, and now they are suffering the consequences.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Fewest Jobless Claims Since 1973 Show Firm U.S. Job Market
- Germans Are Going Wild for a Show Set During the Dawn of the Nazis
- Greenwich Mansion Listings Pulled to Wait for a Better Day
- The U.K.'s $86 Billion Pension Problem Is About to Solve Itself
- U.S. Stocks Climb With Treasuries as Dollar Slides: Markets Wrap