Only months ago, Germany's center-right Christian Democratic Union party was wallowing in a campaign finance scandal surrounding ex-Chancellor Helmut Kohl. It seemed the party, which has ruled Germany for most of the last 50 years, was doomed to suffer the fate of Britain's Conservatives after the departure of Margaret Thatcher: drifting for years in the vacuum left by their domineering leader.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill May Be Largest Since 2010 BP Disaster
- Ford to Take $267 Million Hit From Recall of F-Series Trucks
- Racist Outburst Prompts Faber’s Exit From Three Company Boards