Pinochet Should Be Tried For Human Rights Abuses
It apparently escaped Robert J. Barro's notice that the superiority of the free-market system rests on a democratic government ("One Pinochet legacy that deserves to live," Economic Viewpoint, Jan. 17). Over time, dictators of all stripes have attempted to justify their authoritarian rule on the pursuit of some general good. Yet free people know otherwise. General Pinochet chose to use or allow the state apparatus and other far-right elements to terrorize and abuse his opponents. It is fair that he be held accountable before a court of law.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- These Guys Want to Lend You Money Against Your Bitcoin
- Fed Raises Rates, Eyes Three 2018 Hikes as Yellen Era Nears End
- This Electric Truck Will Probably Beat Tesla’s to Market
- Famed Short-Seller Jim Chanos Says Tesla Headed for ‘Brick Wall’
- Bitcoin Points Way to ‘Massive Change’ for Commodity Businesses