More On The Free Software Wars
Sun Microsystems Inc.'s strategy of acquiring StarOffice and distributing it for free is a serious threat to Microsoft Corp. and is ironically similar to what Microsoft did to Netscape Communications ("Free software from anywhere?" News: Analysis & Commentary, Sept. 13). Netscape had a 90%+ share of the browser market, and Microsoft's response was to give away a similar product, Explorer. Today, Microsoft Office has a high market share, and Sun will give away a similar product.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- These Guys Want to Lend You Money Against Your Bitcoin
- Fed Raises Rates, Eyes Three 2018 Hikes as Yellen Era Nears End
- This Electric Truck Will Probably Beat Tesla’s to Market
- Bitcoin Points Way to ‘Massive Change’ for Commodity Businesses
- Famed Short-Seller Jim Chanos Says Tesla Headed for ‘Brick Wall’