Commentary: A Hollow Victory For Mahathir And His CroniesJonathan Moore
There was an audible gasp as the Malaysian court announced its verdict on Apr. 14: six years imprisonment for former Deputy Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim. In response, Anwar called the harsh sentence an "absolute disgrace" and lashed out at the government of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad for clinging to power "at whatever cost." Within hours, riots had broken out in Kuala Lumpur as Anwar supporters showed their rage.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Stocks Slide From Records as Anxiety Bubbles Up: Markets Wrap
- Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
- Turns Out It Will Be Congress’s Fault When Stocks Crash
- Why a Pub in the Middle of Nowhere Was Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Facebook and Google Helped Anti-Refugee Campaign in Swing States