Portrait Of A Family
They say witches live in the forests surrounding the Holy Cross mountains in central Poland. But Halina Kania pays them no heed as she gathers mushrooms and herbs in the wee hours near her home in Suchedniow, a small town 135 kilometers south of Warsaw. At 66, she draws a pension of $160 a month for her 41 years as an accountant for the town's state-run ceramic pipe factory. Yet she and her husband, Edward, a retired driver and mechanic on a similar pension, make do with fruit and vegetables from their garden and fresh eggs from their chickens. A wood-burning stove helps warm their two-story house.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- The U.S. Drops Out of the Top 10 in Innovation Ranking
- Here’s What Trump’s Tariffs on U.S. Imports Are Doing to Markets
- Musk's New Pay Deal Could Make Him the World's Richest Man—If Tesla Succeeds
- Trump's Tariffs on Solar Mark Biggest Blow to Renewables Yet
- This Rare Bear Who Called the Crash Warns Housing Is Too Hot Again