Don't Blow This Chance, Washington
When the history of the 105th Congress is written, it will likely record that an ambitious onetime actor, Senator Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.), and a small group of moderate GOP senators preserved the integrity of their party and the institution in which they serve. But just barely, and just before the public's contempt for the money-politics scandal engulfing Washington turned to complete revulsion--and perhaps a dangerous backlash. Under heavy pressure from the moderates, Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.), reversed position. He will now allow Thompson to conduct a broad probe of both illegal and improper campaign fund-raising practices, including "soft" money contributions. This provides a final opportunity for politicians to redeem themselves in the eyes of the people. Both Democrats and Republicans should take it.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- The Latest on the Political Turmoil in Zimbabwe
- Goldman Sachs Sees Four 2018 Fed Rate Hikes as U.S. Growth Gains
- Norway Oil Bosses Insist End Isn't Nigh After $35 Billion Shock
- Subways May Be the Latest Casualty of China's Crackdown on Debt
- Bitcoin Soars Past $8,000 as Technology Shift Concern Vanishes