My Modem Can Lick Your Modem
The modem wars are here in earnest. The first big salvo came on Feb. 26 when a consortium of companies that sell 70% of the modems worldwide banded together to back a standard for the next-generation modem--one that will let computers talk to each other at a zippy 56,000 bits per second, about twice today's speed. In grandstanding fashion, the consortium, dubbed Open 56K Forum, timed its announcement to preempt the launch of U.S. Robotics Corp.'s speedy new modem.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Goldman Sachs Sees Four 2018 Fed Rate Hikes as U.S. Growth Gains
- Tesla Unveils ‘World’s Fastest Production Car’ and Electric Big Rig
- Norway Idea to Exit Oil Stocks Is ‘Shot Heard Around the World’
- Subways May Be the Latest Casualty of China's Crackdown on Debt
- Norway Oil Bosses Insist End Isn't Nigh After $35 Billion Shock